Saturday, May 18, 2013

BoerneFest

Shopping and heat...... What a combination!

This weekend is BoerneFest weekend.  If you've read my blog before, you KNOW that I love small town festivals. 
This one was actually more of a small town block party.  Mom, Rochelle, Roy, Caroline, and Kaitlyn came from San Antonio to join us in exploring downtown Boerne.  And no, that isn't a long drive.  :)  Only about 30 minutes north of where Roy and Rochelle live.

We wandered around the town square and scored some Texas grown and made olive oil as well as some pretty macrame necklaces.  Yes, I know..... I DO make jewelry.  But sometimes another jewelry artist's work catches my eye.  In this case, I just couldn't resist.  I'll try to include a pic of the necklace in a later post.

On the way to lunch, we strolled by a pickle place.  Seriously.  They had some samples out so, of course, we had to give it try.  Mom says they tasted a lot like the pickles that Grandmother Morris used to make.  She ended up with a good size jar and we ended up with a small jar of them.

The same store was also a junk/antique/overstock store -- with a very eclectic mix of items.  The girls found some shades that perfectly complemented them.  Here, Kaitlyn models her new sunglasses.....
And Caroline models her new shades.......
Both are too cute!  :)

Then we walked down to a local restaurant for a late lunch.  It was a little bit of a hike.... and the high temp today is about 97 degrees.  And lordy, it is humid!  Before we left Wichita, I had been wishing for a bit a summer because it seemed like winter just didn't want to let loose of us.  Now, I'm thinking that wasn't such a bad deal.  Grin.

Had to do a few pix while we were waiting for our food.  Rochelle and Kaitlyn, looking lovely despite the heat.
Kaitlyn and Roy..... they look ALOT alike, I think.
Max and I..... dang, when the heck did I get old?!?!?
Caroline and Mom, looking lovely as well!
Where did we eat?  Well, The Dodging Duck, of course!
I had an awesome wurst platter, complete with a yummy soft pretzel and German potato salad.  The girls split an antelope burger and said it was very good.  Max had a regular burger and judging by the lack of leftovers, thought it was good as well.  :)

Why is it called The Dodging Duck?  Rochelle speculated that it was because you have to dodge the local ducks to get there.  Just across the street from the restaurant is the Cibolo (I think) river.  They have a beautiful river walk alongside it.  And.... they have PLENTY of ducks and geese along the walk. Ergo...... The Dodging Duck!

1 comment: