Thursday, March 22, 2012

Cherry Blossoms in the Nation's Capitol

I spent the early part of this week in Washington DC for a credit union conference.  And while the conference was great.....  the best part had to be, hands down, the cherry blossoms!


The local news guys let us know that we picked the absolute best time of the season to be in WDC as the blossoms were at their peak during this week.  And good grief, I believe them!  And to top that off, they were having unseasonably warm weather.... at least 20 to 30 degrees warmer than normal.

So we spent a couple of hours one afternoon walking around the tidal basin.  It is completely ringed with cherry blossom trees.  And they were at their showy best!  Of course, I couldn't resist a pic or two (or ten!).  I though the one above framed the Washington Monument beautifully.


I always thought that cherry blossoms were, well, cherry colored!  Not exactly.  Apparently when they first start coming out, they are a lovely red/pink color.  I found a couple of trees that had a few new buds on them, so you can see what that looks like on the right.


But as they "age", the blossoms fade to a pinky white, as you can see above.


As always, my photos just don't do this justice.  It is incredible to be surrounded by all of these lovely blooming trees.  And as a gentle breeze blew across us, it seemed as though it was raining white blossoms.  Too fantastic!


Work continued on the home remodel while I was gone.  Wish I could say that it was completed while I was gone, but no such luck.  <grin>  Max was called to duty as the painting contractor during my trip.  Lucky boy.  More on that next time.


Cheers!


Dr J

2 comments:

  1. You were definitely in D.C. at the right time! I live nearby and love seeing the blossoms every year. I was downtown last weekend to take photos with my family, but the weather was overcast -- going again tomorrow to try and get some blue skies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meg! Thanks so much for your comment..... I have to admit that at this time of year, I am jealous of those of you who live so close to the Capitol. Seeing those beautiful blooms could never get old!

    Good luck with your photos. With that gorgeous backdrop, I'm sure they will be grand!

    Cheers,

    Dr J

    ReplyDelete